In our daily lives, we need to carry our belongings in backpacks or bags, and choosing the right bag for our needs can be tricky.
Osprey has been producing good quality products for a long time, and customer satisfaction comes first. All their products, including the two models in the article, have been designed to meet our customers’ needs.
We are going to discuss Porter 46’s and Farpoint 40’s differences, highlighted features, and which one would be a perfect fit for you all.
Osprey Porter 46’s Features:
- As the manufacturer says Osprey Porter 46 is one of the largest and most comfortable models in the Porter series, and they prove this argument with its features:
- Thanks to its zippered top pocket, you can easily reach the things you need.
- Its U-zip feature allows you to access all of the main compartments without problems.
- Having lockable zippers on the main and laptop compartments provides safety and prevents your valuables from being stolen.
- There is a front panel that can be used to store books, travel documents, passports, notebooks, etc.
- Since it has padded sidewalls, you don’t have to worry about your stuff getting any damage from anything.
- It has internal pockets that can be useful for keeping luggage trackers.
- It has a laptop compartment that is special only for keeping laptops. Unfortunately, many backpacks have their laptop compartment in their main compartment, and sometimes this situation can cause issues and damage the device. Therefore, this feature would be beneficial if you get anxious about your devices while carrying them.
Who Should Buy Osprey Porter 46?
The first thing you should consider while buying an Osprey Porter 46 is that it is not suitable for being a hiking or camping bag. When you look at the product’s name on their website, you can clearly say that it says it is a travel backpack. Therefore, this bag may not be suitable if you are looking for a hiking or camping bag.
However, if you want a simple travel bag to organize, this bag might be right for you.
As we are all familiar with it, sometimes finding the thing you are looking for in your bag can be tough. Osprey Porter 46 will be your situation at that point, and as someone who loves to pack so many unnecessary things in my bag, this feature certainly excites me.
Apart from that, if you want to buy a bag for your specific or professional needs, with its capacity, it would be a perfect fit for your equipment like a camera, laptop, tripods, etc. It may not be suitable for very heavy equipment for hiking or camping, but its 46-liter capacity would be ideal for your needs.
In addition to that, since it is compatible with airline rules, it would be great for using it as a suitcase too. However, you must remember that some airline businesses may not accept it as a carry-on suitcase. Therefore, make sure you read their guidelines thoroughly.
Pros and Cons of Osprey Porter 46
- Its main compartment is easy to organize and can easily access if necessary.
- Its hip belt and harness are easy to slip on and wouldn’t cause trouble even if your bag is at its total capacity.
- Its laptop sleeve isn’t in its main compartment. Therefore, this means it provides a safer environment for your valuable items.
- You can easily access its handles when you use it in a duffel-bag mode.
- It has a front panel pocket with a zipper, which can be very useful for keeping your travel documents, such as passports, wallets, etc.
- You can access the top pocket as quickly as possible, every time you want. Therefore, putting your toiletries in there would be a wise decision.
- It is not suitable for everyday use as an everyday bag. Most customers state that they use this bag as a suitcase.
- It doesn’t have any pockets for your water bottles, which may be a problem if you don’t want to carry them inside your bag.
- You need to use its hip belt even if it’s not heavy. However, some users find this feature useless and impractical.
- There is no exterior pocket for your travel documents, such as a passport, boarding passes, etc.
- Its material easily collects dust and pet hair.
- It is unsuitable for heavy equipment such as climbers, hikers, or campers’ gear.
Osprey Farpoint 40’s Features:
- Thanks to its large U-zip duffel style, you can easily gain access to its 40-liter main compartment.
- It has a laptop compartment. Therefore, your valuable things like laptops, tablets, etc., would be protected from damage with its padded compartment.
- It is airport restriction-friendly thanks to its size. It doesn’t matter if you prefer size M or size L.
- You wouldn’t have any problems carrying your travel (if you are a blogger or a vlogger, for instance), camping, hiking, or climbing equipment. Therefore, we can say that it can be used in those activities.
- It has a secret stash pocket that would be useful for hiding money, jewelry, etc.
- It has a mesh pocket to carry your water bottle.
- It can be used as a backpack or a duffel bag. Therefore, this multifunctionality could benefit you a lot.
Who Should Buy Osprey Farpoint 40?
As mentioned, if you choose Porter 46, we said there would be some criteria you should consider before buying, and of course, this appeals to Farpoint 40 too.
When we examined the reviews of Farpoint 40, we see that many people are using it for their traveling, camping, and hiking activities, and they are delighted with this product in that aspect. In addition, many people say most airlines are okay with it as carry-on luggage.
If you are looking for a bag that would save you from spending so much on expensive, high-quality luggage, the Osprey Farpoint 40 is the perfect fit for you while enabling you to travel light.
If you are looking for a bag that you can use in your daily life besides activities such as traveling, camping, or hiking, Osprey Farpoint 40 comes to your rescue for that problem as well. Having a decent bag in your life makes your life easier. Therefore, if you are thinking of buying one, consider these elements before deciding.
The Pros and Cons of Osprey Farpoint 40:
- It is durable and decent. If you search for “Osprey Farpoint 40”, you will likely find comments mentioning that they have used this product for months and didn’t have a scratch on them.
- Thanks to the U-zip type, you can easily access it everywhere in the bag’s main compartment.
- It makes your travel easier thanks to its size. You can comfortably go through airports, train stations, etc.
- Even if it is packed to the rim, you won’t experience back pain thanks to its structure.
- It is suitable for activities such as hiking, camping, and traveling.
- It is multifunctional. You can use it for anything you want without having any trouble.
- Some tall customers state that the bag’s suspension is too small for them. Therefore, it wasn’t practical for them to use such a bag.
- Users who tried other Osprey bags mentioned that its hip belt wasn’t as comfortable as others.
- Some customers weren’t satisfied with 40 liters of capacity fitting their items.
- If you need your water bottle, it may be challenging to reach it while you are still wearing it, so to get it, you need to take it off partially, which may be a problem if you are a climber, for instance.
What Is the Difference Between the Osprey Porter 46 and the Osprey Farpoint 40?
- The main difference is that while Porter 46 can hold up to 46 liters, Osprey Farpoint 40 can only carry 40 liters.
- While Osprey Farpoint 40 can be used for activities such as hiking and camping, Porter 46 wouldn’t be suitable for such activities.
- Compared to Porter 46, Farpoint 40 meets most airline carry-on luggage rules in size. (21H x 14W x 9D in M/L)
- While using Farpoint 40, you may need to take your bag off to reach your water bottle, but many people stated there wasn’t any issue with this situation with their Porter 46.
- Osprey Porter 46 and Farpoint 40 have padded compartments suitable for valuable items like laptops, tablets, cameras, etc.
- They both have laptop sleeves, but while Farpoint 40 has its laptop sleeve in its main compartment, Porter 46 has a special compartment only for laptops. A laptop sleeve in the main compartment can be dangerous for your laptop.
- You can easily organize your stuff inside Porter 46, but for Farpoint 40, it wouldn’t be that easy because of its internal structure.
- Even though it is not designed as a hiking bag, Osprey Farpoint 40 has back support, but it is not the case for Porter 46.
- While Osprey Farpoint 40 has a mesh pocket for carrying a water bottle, Porter 46 doesn’t have a mesh pocket.
Which One Should You Buy?
As we mentioned before, the bag you should go for depends on your needs and buying the bag that meets your needs would make your job much easier.
If you are a determined hiker, mountaineer, or camper who loves to be in nature, Osprey Farpoint 40 would be the perfect fit for you.
However, if you are a photographer, traveler, vlogger, blogger, or just someone who loves to nomadize, a bag like Osprey Porter 46 would make you happy and satisfied.
Before choosing one of them, think about the stuff you will carry in that bag and your purpose for buying one. Then, you can make the right decision by asking yourself those questions.
In this article, we tried to compare two very user-friendly and durable bags. But, of course, when you spend money on such bags, you would expect them to pay away your expectations and money well, and we can assure you that Osprey bags would be worth it.
As we said, choosing the right bag for your needs can be complicated and frustrating, but once you find the one that meets your needs, you will be satisfied with your decision. And every single time you use the right bag, you will thank yourself for your decision.
You may think it’s just a bag; why would I think so deeply about a bag? But I assure you that it is more than that.
As someone who loves to carry many things by my side, buying a big bag carrying anything I want would be life-changing. I hope this article will be a guiding light for you to find your life-changing bag.